11.03.2014

Upcoming Show : Good Mail Day at Artstream Studios and Gallery

It's been much too long since I posted here! Who knows if anyone is still paying attention to this blog! I have lots of great news to share soon that is in the works, including a new website that will feature a line of quilt blocks I'm currently designing. And I will have exciting news to share around January, HUGE awesome news about my Foreclosure Quilt series. In the meantime, I will have four little postcard sized textiles on exhibit at Artstream Studios and Gallery in New Hampshire in a show called "Good Mail Day". It's curated by my friend Lisa Solomon and Susan Schwake. It features 60 artists and the work will be available for purchase online here.

Ogallala Aquifer Depletion, 2014. Four 4" x 6" indigo dyed linen textiles with
embroidery and ink.
Here are some pictures of the pieces I made using linen that I indigo dyed over the summer. I designed a quilt block about water resources and this idea grew out of that design.
Ogallala Aquifer Depletion, 2014. Four 4" x 6" indigo dyed linen textiles with
embroidery and ink.
The Ogallala Aquifer spanning eight mid-Western states is rapidly being depleted due to overuse of farming irrigation, specifically, the Center Pivot Irrigation system. This form of irrigation has become so efficient that farmers have really pushed the water use to the extreme.
Ogallala Aquifer Depletion detail, 2014. One of four 4" x 6" indigo dyed
linen textiles with 
embroidery and ink. Upper left piece.
 And now scientists say there will be no more usable water in the aquifer by 2030. That's right, 2030! It's just around the corner! This is the major water source for a huge majority of our US crops. Be sure to check out all of the amazing work in the exhibition that starts November 7th and runs through December. See my four here.

9 comments:

Meliors Simms said...

beautiful, reminds me of willow pattern china- so making the connection between you ceramic and textile practices.

Victoria said...

These are simply beautiful works, Kathryn. And as always, the message that you communicate through your art just stops me in my tracks. Gripping.

Jenny M said...

Amazing work...but the message is frightening. Why do a lot of people only think of now, and not of the results of their actions?
PS. looking forward to reading about your forth coming Big news!

kathrynclark said...

Hi Meliors! Oh boy to I owe you an email! Thanks so much for the lovely comment, I hadn't thought of that but it makes sense!

kathrynclark said...

Thanks Victoria. I SO love your work!

kathrynclark said...

Jenny, the message is frightening. And then you look at things like the air quality in Beijing that people put up with ... it gets worse! Fingers crossed we wake up .. soon!

Picnic Locations in Gurgaon said...

What you're saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I'm sure you'll reach so many people with what you've got to say.

Joy said...

found your stunning work on Pinterest. I have a love affair with the Indigo color. Love the idea of your Ogallala Aquifer stitching. I live in the area of the Aquifer. Found an article that your readers might find of interest. http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/Oc-Po/Ogallala-Aquifer.html All may not be lost... God is in control.

Joy said...

BTW, in reply to Jenny M, perhaps the U.S. could cut back on feeding the rest of the world... use less water from the Aquifer. Not a simple problem.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails